It makes sense that you want to maximize your workout by eating the right thing before and after your workout. If you are going to put in the work, it only stands to reason that you want to optimize your results with the right nutrition. What to eat after your workout is pretty straightforward, protein + carb, although we will expand on this in a future post. However, what to eat before your workout is much trickier.
If and what you should eat BEFORE your workout depends on numerous factors, including but not limited:
- time of day you are working out
- body composition goals such as fat loss or muscle gain
- performance goals
- individual blood sugar fluctuations
- how you feel during your workout
- type of workout (cardio vs. strength training, low intensity vs. high intensity)